Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Peace Corps Nomination

After 3-4 years of applying and thinking and waiting and applying and thinking and waiting, I have finally decided that it is MY time to actually finish my Peace Corps application and submit it. A week ago, I had my interview. At the end of this so called interview, I was nominated to leave in early January 2011 for Central/South America for the Health Extension program. Health Extension is a health education program- in the peace corps, Health Education includes HIV/AIDS, maternal and child health, nutrition, water sanitation etc...really I could be teaching anything that is somewhat kind of sort of health related depending on what is needed by my community. Now, I am waiting. I have heard that the Peace COrps includes a lot of waiting, and even though I am just at the beginning of this portion of my life, I totally agree. I am waiting to receive my medical packet which will allow me to get a every part of my body checked out, which will allow me then, to wait again. Although waiting is usually not the most exciting activity, I am thrilled and beyond excited to begin this journey!

2 comments:

  1. so good to hear, kate! i think u have a very good possibility of getting nicaragua. our health program starts in january and next year will be breaking into two: HIV/AIDS education; maternal and child health. too bad ill already be gone tho! good luck! keep me updated on the app process!! all that waiting will pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! very cool to hear- Nicaragua would be awesome!! Def wish you were still gonna be in the area- are you ready to come home? Let me know if you decide to stay for a 3rd year!

    ReplyDelete