Thursday, October 14, 2010

NICA!!!

Finalmente I found out...it seems like I have been telling people that I am leaving but do not know where or when or to do what for so long now. To be able to say I am moving to Nicaragua for 27 months leaving January 11, 2011, is such an incredible feeling. My job title is Health Advocator and I will be working in the Reproductive Health and HIV Education program, which sounds pretty perfect. What this entails exactly....I am still figuring out and I probably will be figuring out for the next 6-10 months or so. Basically what happens now is that I tell Peace Corps that I definitely want to take the position, I apply for a Peace Corps US passport, start having goodbye parties for myself, research Nicaragua and get ready for staging and pre service training. Staging is a 3 ish day orientation held somewhere in the US and gives volunteers the opportunity to begin to get to know our fellow trainees. From staging we fly to Nica where we begin our 3 month pre-service training. During this training period we will be staying with NIcaraguan families, learning and practicing Spanish, going to trainings on health and safety and being trained on what our jobs will entail.
After basically driving myself insane this week from waiting for the mail to come, just knowing where I am going feels fantastic!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Congrats on finding out your placement. Sooo, I'm also going to Nicaragua on 1.11.11 as a Peace Corps Community Health Volunteer!!!

    I had been waiting since April and I know EXACTLY what your talking about when you say its an incredible feeling to know where you'll spend the next 27 months of your life =)

    Can't wait to meet you and all the other future PC Nicaragua volunteers!

    -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! That's awesome! Are you maternal/child health or reproductive/hiv?
    Can't wait to meet you either!!

    ReplyDelete