Thursday, August 25, 2011

I'm Quitting Peace Corps to Become a Professional Surfer!!



Or...Maybe Not...That second picture is most definitely NOT me...Baby steps may be the wiser choice for me...the first picture and the one below are me (see what I mean about taking it slow?)

It is a fun new sport though! My Chinandega friends and I took a weekend trip to this really great Eco surf and yoga lodge about an hour and a half north of Corinto. The weekend was spent swimming (the waves were HUGE!), doing yoga, eating delicious fresh healthy food, boogie boarding, surfing/learning to surf/falling off of my surfboard...and all of these activities were spent with great friends. The place is called Coco Loco and is owned by a couple of Canadiens and an American. It is frequented by and has surf lessons and camps taught by professional surfer, Holly Beck. All of the people who work and hang out there are very chill, very tranquilo people. The lodge itself is also host to (and the owners run) a non-profit called, Waves of Hope. They work with the local community; teaching a youth surf camp, growing a community garden, saving sea turtles, vocational training and more. And the place itself is BEAUTIFUL! The first night we watched a huge storm roll in over the ocean- I tried over and over again to catch the lightning on my camera, but was very unsuccessful. After many attempts, I decided it was not worth missing and settled back with my deliciously cold Tona cerveza and enjoyed the show. The lightning shot not only from sky to ground, but zig zagged sideways...it was almost moving in circles. I had never seen this before- it was absolutely incredible. The combination of the lightning, making new friends, deep conversations with old friends, the smell of the downpouring rain and the relaxing just hanging around that we were doing...truly made for an excellent evening.
One last picture- here I am Mom! You requested a picture of me- have I changed over the past 3 months since I last saw you?
While I may not quit my day job to become a professional surfer...I can definitely lay on the beach...really well. This may be the hobby that I quit working for.

No comments:

Post a Comment