Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My Nicaraguan Dish Wish List

While my gallo pinto came out fairly decent, this is only one of the many Nicaraguan dishes that I hope to make while living here. A few other tasty bites that are on my list of things to try to make are:

  1. Cuajada- a type of cheese made with milk and a pill (yes, like the medicinal type of pill…)
  2. Arroz Valenciana- basically fried rice with carrots, chicken and other veggies
  3. Pupusas- similar to a quesadilla but the tortilla is made of corn flour
  4. Tortillas
  5. Coffee- I am still trying to perfect making coffee here. Today I got extremely close- our safety and security officer told us that there are some things that we should be willing to spend money on in order to keep our sanity. For me, a few of those things are coffee and the proper fixings. This morning I ate a slice of watermelon, some oatmeal and had a delicious cup of coffee with powdered creamer (while the powdered stuff is not my favorite…it does do the trick) and a few dashes of sugar.
  6. Nacatamales- a typical Nicaraguan dish- steamed while wrapped in a plantain leaf…the nacatamale…I am actually not exactly positive what it holds inside…
  7. Chancleta- baked chayote (green vegetable) stuffed with mozzarella chees
  8. Churros- I’ve made the Argentine kind of churros, but these here are filled with cheese and are more of a savory dish, than a sweet one.
  9. Soy Milk- homemade soy milk to add to my coffee
  10. Manuelitas- large sweet pancakes wrapped and filled with either cheese or meat- they are delicious!

3 comments:

  1. What kind of pill is it? Do you know? And me being in pharmacy school and all, just curious what pharmacies are like down there? Do they even have any? Laws must be completely different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually do not know what kind of pill it is! I know you can walk into a pharmacy and just ask for the cuajada making pill ha. Pharmacies here are pretty open...you can basically walk in there and buy whatever you want from what I have seen. Pharmacies are all over the place actually. It's interesting...I will look into pharmacy laws and what the pill is and get back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I had to google it. I think its some sort of enzyme that separates the milk. Pastilla de cuajar leche is the name of it. I tried to google it tho and got all spanish stuff which of course I couldn't read so I could be wrong. But thats my guess. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete