Sunday, April 22, 2012

1st Step to Being a Runner: Run a 5 K

Unfortunately I have no pictures BUT you will be happy to know that I and Lindsey Leslie did in fact run 5 kilometros, that is 3.11 ish miles, today. Ya! The run/race was a fundraiser and awareness campaign for this organization called Los Pipitos. Lindsey and many other PC volunteers work with the organization. They focus on working with kids and are a great organization. I would love to learn more about the work that they do here in Nicaragua, specifically in Chinandega and possibly try to do some work with them.
As I have not exactly been running, nor am I a runner, so not really remembering what 3 miles felt like to run, my goal was to finish the whole race, running, no walking...no pausing...running. And I did it. I finished in 38 minutes and 22 seconds, which puts me at about a 12 and a half minute mile...not my best mile time ever, but I'm pretty proud. And now I have a good idea of what to train for and what my goal will be for my next 5 K which will be happening in Managua in 3 weeks. Although I am proud of my own personal victory, I am even prouder of Lindsey who finished in 3rd place! Yay!! She won a Claro package complete with a bright red hammock, beach towel, t shirt and water bottle. All in all it was a great way to spend my Sunday morning and a fantastic start to the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment