Monday, March 11, 2013

Xiomara


Xiomara is my Nicaraguan counterpart. As a Peace Corps volunteer, we are assigned a Nicaraguan counterpart to work with and to support us adjusting to Nica culture etc... Xiomara works for the Ministry of Health and as a Volunteer Coordinator for the non-profit Youth Footprints Association. Some PCVs are assigned couterparts who barely have time to work with them or who do not understand the objectives of Peace Corps or just are not passionate about their work. I got extremely lucky by being placed in Corinto with Xiomara. She is one of the most passionate, dedicated, caring women I have ever met. Some people do their job just for the money. Xiomara is most definitely not one of those people. She cares so much about the youth of Corinto, so much so that she gets paid almost nothing and she still works 10-20 hours extra a week without getting paid extra. This past Friday I threw her a surprise "We Love You Xiomara" party, disguised as my going away party. Past volunteers sent in videos describing their time working with her and their general impression of Xiomara. They sent in photos of all the work Xiomara has done over the past 8 years. I put on a presentation for Xiomara and she had NO IDEA! It was such a huge success. She said some of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me, which left both her and me in tears. I've been thinking a lot about my future recently since I am finishing up this chapter in my life and I honestly cannot imagine my life without Xiomara and my other Corinto friends in it. People ask me if I will come back to visit Nicaragua and my answer is always YES! Of course! I do not know when I'll be back or for how long, but I do know that Xiomara and all of the amazing people I have worked with and become friends with in Corinto, have changed my life. I will never forget any of you and will most definitely be back to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment