Saturday, November 7, 2009

Discovering My Inner Latina

Exiting the terminal, my eyes fighting to stay open, my hair in a nest and my stomach in a knot; I was about to embark on a life changing adventure. I was about to experience things that I could not even imagine; feelings that up until now were not even possible given the circumstances. I had finally made it to Argentina, the birth place of my father and the home to a whole group of family members, whom I had no idea existed. These family members were all standing in front of me right now, at the airport, holding a sign with my name on it. Most of them were crying and overwhelming was an understatement. I was so tired that my Spanish was not making much sense and none of them spoke any English. I spat up a simple response with a terrible accent to their questions, “oh si, um si, estoy cansada…” I remember smiling a lot during those first two weeks in Argentina.

No comments:

Post a Comment