Sunday, November 15, 2009

Hair in Unusual Places

Sara, my traveling buddy and roommate while studying abroad, and I woke up to the sun rising in beautiful Cusco, Peru; surrounded by high green mountains, blue skys and extremely high altitudinously fresh air. We were both starving and craving good ole' American style egg breakfast sandwiches, or something along the lines of a big breakfast. Wandering through the hilly stone streets, we came upon a futbol field that happened to have a sandwich stand sitting in front of it. Just as we were hoping, they had egg sandwiches, with a South American spin. We both ordered an egg sandwich with avocado, tomatoes, sprouts, lettuce and cheese...delicious. I took a huge bite and felt automatically satisfied. This sandwich was just what I had been looking for. As I was enjoying this first bite, I caught a strange texture in my mouth. Not knowing what it was I separated it from the rest of the food and spit it out of my mouth into my hand. Laying in my hand was a dark, curly hair. Knowing that we were in Peru and knowing that more than occassionaly, a hair or two will end up in your food, I ignored it and kept eating. The next bite brought a couple more hairs, which disgusted me, but I took them out and kept chewing. Going along with my American instincts, I opened the sandwich, just to check and see how many more hairs I might find in this delicious breakfast. Sitting right on top of the tomato, was a neat little pile of dark curly hairs. It looked like someone had shaved an entire beard into my sandwich. Sara checked out her sandwich and sure enough, a dark hairy pile staired up at her as well. I felt sick to my stomach, thinking of how many of those hairs I had already eaten. Instead of going back to ask for our money, we left the sandwiches sitting next to a trash can for a stray dog to eat. Next time I guess we will know to order an egg sandwich, keep the avocado but hold the hair, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment