Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Next Edition of I’m An Awkward Gringa (well…almost…it was a really close call)

I have these great sandals. They are black strappy super comfortable flats that go with every single outfit I own. I bought them from a store in Leon for 60 cordobas. Because they were so cheap, 2 of my friends bought the same exact shoes. I mean, who can say no to a 3 dollar great (or so I thought) pair of sandals? I wear them very often…so often in fact, that the bottom has started to wear away. Because of that, they have become rather slippery, which of course does not help my case of awkward-gringa-ness.

Anyway, on Monday, I was about to walk into the food store. I was feeling great with my cool sunglasses and confidence building outfit, so I was walking pretty tall. That is, until I slipped and came extremely close to face planting. I picked up my dignity from the grey cement Pali walkway and smiled and gave a “ha wow that was a close one” face to the security guard. He looks at me like I’m crazy and tells me to be careful. I’m okay. I continue walking into the store and head to the vegetable and pasta section of the store, which is pretty close to the front of the store. That being said, the security guard had another clear view of my next close call. Same thing happened- I almost slipped, this time almost falling flat on my back. I did that move where your legs are spread, almost like you’re about to do a split. Your arms instantly go out to either side to balance yourself and you make an extremely attractive panic face. If I had been out at a dance club or maybe at the gym, I could have pulled this off as a new starfish looking dance move….but I was not. I was at the food store…in Nicaragua. And as before, only one person commented, while the rest just looked. Thank you sir security guard for being worried about me (and for watching my bike every time I visit your store).

Oh, the life of being an almost awkward gringa.

1 comment: