Saturday, January 15, 2011

Nicaragua

So far, Nicaragua and Peace Corps in general (even with the crazy snow filled delay), is amazing. Today we had our language interviews, which basically is a way for PC to evaluate where our spanish language is at-we will then be put into groups of 3 or 4 based on our language level for our 3 months of training. Tomorrow we find out who our host families are, who our training site mates are and what level spanish we are! Even though our hotel is beautiful, being so close to everyone is fun and having 2 pools to swim in is amazing, I and I think most people are ready to dive in and start training. We waited for 3 days in DC and are in Managua, Nica for orientation for 3 more days...all interesting and great days, but I am ready! We had gallo pinto (rice and beans) for breakfast this morning, and while 3 meals a day of this may become somewhat redundant, it tastes amazing. Mango season is coming up soon, which is also very exciting...I´m really hoping my host family has a mango tree in their backyard. Dinner is in about 15 minutes, so I apologize for a short post. I will try to post as often as I can!
If anyone has specific questions that you would like me to address over the next 27 months (I almost just typed years by accident...) definitely leave a comment and I will respond as soon as I can!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you Kate!! Let me know where your training town ends up being!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. you've got a good few months until mango season haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck Kate! I am so glad your Dad gave me the link to your blog... It is amazing how much this sounds like ME almost 50 years ago in 1965! (well, not quite 50years but close!)....I think having a host family is a real plus that I did not have....for language immersion, security, and bonding to the country..... On the other hand the host family may be a bit overprotective and you will have to work through that.....
    Enjoy the people, the new smells, the food, the landscape, and what you are doing.....You are making memories for a life time!
    You mentioned thinking about "what if I don't like it?"....... I've been there and done that...submitted my resignation to Peace Corps, then negotiated a transfer to a new program and new location. I am glad I stayed.
    I felt profound sadness this week with the passing of my very first boss as an adult--- Sargent Shriver...
    Be safe, Kate.... enjoy every day. Keep up your blog....

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing.... in Feb 1967 there was a huge earthquake in Colombia...Among other things all the mangoes fell off the trees... a group of my Colombian friends took me to a spot in the middle of a field where we sat under the mango tree reflecting on the devastation and eating all the mangoes that had fallen on the ground....they were warm and juciy and after eating TWENTY mangoes to calm our fears and stress we wobbled back to town... I remember the beautiful sky, the warmth, and the awful destruction from the earthquake... there was a lot to do....

    ReplyDelete
  5. so they are closing the hilo--jp is falling apart without you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate - I'm so excited for you and proud to tell people what you're doing. I love you girl!

    ReplyDelete