Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Masatepe

January 18, 2011
The people hang out in the streets here-there are children running around everywhere. It reminds me a a lot of Jamaica Plain in the summer-families all have their doors open and congregrate en los calles-although so far Masatepe lacks the loud reggaeton being blasted at all hours of the night. Instead the roosters, chickens and dogs sing at the top of their lungs from one in the morning until 6:30 am when my alarm goes off, not that I need a real alarm clock. Festejando...celebrating seems like something that everyone does-animals and people alike. The people seem like a happy people and are extremely welcoming and friendly. I have so many questions to ask my family and everyone but am still learning how to.
The language is still difficult but I think I am getting better. It´s getting harder to think only in English, which seems like a good thing, since I am here to learn Spanish. My head is becoming a boxing ring for the two-English and Spanish-constantly fighting each other for the front spot in my brain. I am sure in two years I will be so used to speaking Spanish that the switch back to English will be difficult. But my family in Nicaragua has been so helpful, even the 3 month old baby-by making faces at me and by holding my hand, he is helping me feel at home and more comfortable. The 1 1/2 year old boy Josue finally is warming up to me and no longer hides when I walk into the room. The 11 year old girl, Giselle, plays game with me-a Scategories type game, soccer, kickball, jacks etc... And the 18 year old Valeska talks to me like the intelligent person that I usually am (at least while speaking English); we speak about traveling, telenovelas, and whatever else. My host mother-Maritza-I am beginning to understand more each hour and each day of what she says since she speaks so fast. The combination of these people plus the extended family and my Spanish class is making my time here, so far, amazing.

1 comment:

  1. How crazy you're also in Masatepe!!! You have to meet my host family - I think the current TEFL volunteer still lives there. I love reading your updates!!

    ReplyDelete