Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Work and Training

So perhaps you would also like to hear a little about what I am actually doing in Nicaragua...my days are not only filled with rice and beans, soccer and hanging out. My week basically looks like this:
8am to 12 pm- Spanish class- We have some gramatical and vocabulary lessons, combined with Spanish icebreaker type games to practice conversing in Spanish.
12 pm to 1 pm-Lunch! This usually consists of rice and beans, plantains, and some kind of vegetable or meat main course (for example, one day I have this absolutely delicious avocado type vegetable soup, another day-chicken stir fried ish with vegetables)
1 pm-3 or 4 ish-more Spanish class-class in the afternoon is usually more practical-going out into the streets and asking people for directions, presenting ourselves to the mayor and to the chief of police etc...
4-6 pm-either playing soccer, doing homework etc..
6 pm-NOVELA time-right now Triunfo del Amor is on Mon through Fri...very dramatic and interesting.
7pm on- watching the news, playing games and doing homework.
On Mondays and Wednesdays, we have youth group meetings-so far we have only had one, but it was very succesful-we will be discussing various health topics, playing games and doing team building type activities.
Monday mornings at 8 am beginning this Mon February 7th, we will be giving brief health charlas a two of the health centers here in Masatepe-I have a 10-15 minute talk on AIDS this coming Monday-I will defintely keep you all updated on how it goes!
Wednesday afternooons, all day Fridays and Saturdays-we have Peace Corps training sessions-they include the health statistics of Nicargua, how to give succesful health talks, tips on working with Nicaraguan youth and various way to prevent ourselves from getting all of the Peace Corps usual sicknesses...ugh like the common cold, diarrhea, stomach aches, malaria etc...
As I only have a couple more minutes left on the internet and as I need to go play soccer, I will leave you with that.
I will attempt to be better about posting but because we are getting into all of our actual work starting this week, our weeks are getting a lot busier. I hope to make it to the internet cafe once a week and I promise Mom, I will let you know if anything weird happens to me.
love and miss you all!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I am finally a follower! Took me long enough to figure it out! It sounds like you are having a blast Kate. You seem very busy which is good. I love that they call you Katalina. It is really pretty. And when have you ever been able to play so much soccer? It sounds so fun. So much better than cold, snowy New England. The snow never ends and you are not missing a thing! Well I miss you! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long are you going to be in Masatepe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. im in masatepe for another 2 months-april 1st we swear in as official peace corps volunteers and i should find out my 2 year site in about 3 to 4 weeks. im siked1

    ReplyDelete