Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Triunfo del Amor (Triumph of Love)

Triunfo del Amor-that is the name of the novela that I watch every night (I try to watch it every night) at 6 pm with my family. It is the story of a girl named Maria Desaparada-which basically translates to Orphaned Maria. You may be thinking that right off the bat this story sounds simliar to Little Orphan Annie...you are incorrect. This girl has been living in a convent for her entire 18 years of life and has never known who her parents are. When she turns 18, the convent kicks her out and she has to find her own apartment and a job. She turns to modeling (of course. This is such an easy job to just pick up on a whim...maybe Ill come home to the US after Peace Corps and become a model...hm.) She ends up working as a model for this agency, where her boss is a terribley miserable woman because her husband is cheating on her with a younger woman-she suspects something is wrong but does not know what. Little does the model boss or Maria the orphaned model know, but Marias boss is actually her mother. Neither of them realize this, but I am assuming in a few weeks, something huge is going to happen. The other interesting part of this novela is that Maria is dating her boss´(aka her mother´s) son (aka her brother)-but they have different fathers so I guess it´s okay. That is basically what has happened so far.
The most amazing part of this is that the novela is obviously in Spanish and I have somehow managed to understand what is happening. While it may sound like a strange goal of mine, I am hoping to be able to understand everything that is happening in every single novela that I watch by the time my two years here are up. I have to say; I really love my novelas.

4 comments:

  1. so max-the son of the woman who owns the modeling agency is adopted-so they arent really related-maria and max-so its not as bad as it might be--and you forgot to tell everyone that marias father is now a priest and they dont know this-but she goes to confession to him-this is a common theme in the novelas-at home we call this Kates novella now

    ReplyDelete
  2. america's next top model did a short girl version like 2 years ago...so next time that comes up is your chance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. exactly the same thing i`m trying to do. (learn Spanish) do you know of any sites that offer subtitles?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad-I love that you and Nonnie are watching Triunfo del Amor the same time I am! It{s almost like we are watching togeteher.
    Emma-I will definitely consider modeling even though I am short. Thanks for the confidence booster!
    Felicia-I actually have no idea if there are sites that offer subtitles, but when I was first learning Spanish I bought some novelas and would watch the episodes a couple times, once with subtitles, the second time without. I recommend looking online and actually buying the DVDs. Its a worthwhile investment.good luck!

    ReplyDelete